Monday, September 18, 2017

The Blog About Nothing Returns

It's been said people with real lives are too busy to blog.  I don't completely agree with that thinking, but it's certainly been proven true in the last eight days of this busy life.  From last Monday to today's Monday I've....

.....been to seven volleyball games in five different towns.

.....worked in The Grandstand one final time for the season.  In a sixth different town.

.....driven north to do some deer farming for a day.  In a seventh town.

.....survived the first full week of the school year, showing up on time almost most of the days.

In the next three days I will be at four more games and, apparently, have to work every one of those days as well.  To avoid letting my strong run of posts wither any further I come to you now with one of my desperate blogs about nothing.  Don't say I didn't warn you....

**I shake my head almost daily at the turn my life has taken in the last year with regard to volleyball.  One year ago tomorrow I wrote this post detailing my journey to becoming a volleyball junkie.  Now, a year later, I can enthusiastically admit I pretty much live and breathe the sport.  I coach our seventh grade team, Daughter One is on our varsity, and Daughter Two plays on our Junior Varsity.  On the rare nights none of us have games I'm watching the Gophers volleyball team play.  I follow a half-dozen volleyball sources on Twitter.  I know the top ten collegiate volleyball teams in the country but have no clue who the top ten college football teams are right now.  Again, I shake my head.

**Minnesota's climate - what can a feller say?  Two weeks ago my house was freezing but I refused to start the furnace in the same week school started.  Last week was so sweltering I begrudgingly turned the AC back on....but only because the bananas on my kitchen counter were melting.  Saturday morning I left the house in shorts and t-shirt and felt quite comfy; Sunday morning I nearly froze riding a four-wheeler across the field while wearing three top layers and wishing I'd have packed my long undies.  I really am thankful to live where seasons are drastically different....but having spring, summer, and fall in less than two weeks is a bit much.

**I desperately want to get cautiously enthused for a certain pro sports team from my state that plays a sport with bats, balls, and gloves and is creeping towards a playoff spot....but I'm scared my powers of jinxation will cause a typhoid outbreak on the team.  So I stay nonchalant and avoid talking about them.  Even with this short paragraph I'm terrified I've said too much.  I'm sorry everyone.

**In a moment of weakness I let some excitement creep into my being yesterday.  I checked my trail cameras first thing in the morning and found this:

And this:

And this:

And this:

And.....well, this:

The chances of seeing those bucks while hunting are slim; the chances of seeing them and getting a shot are even skinnier.  Trail cameras are a double-edged sword - it's exciting to know what we could see while hunting, but frustrating to hunt and not see what we know is there...somewhere.  So I looked at my pictures, allowed myself 45 seconds of excitement, and then forced myself back into cautiously enthused stoicism.

That's all the nothing I have for tonight.  The alarm clock will ring too soon.  Tomorrow will be another busy day.  My writing has deteriorated into simple sentences.  The end is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment